Thursday, February 2, 2012

What To Eat Wednesdays: Healthy CHILI!!!


What To Eat Wednesdays:

Every week there will be a new recipe that adheres to the following 5 guidelines:
1. Easy
2. Healthy
3. Delicious
4. Inexpensive
5. Under 500 calories/ serving

I will also include alterations for specialty diets (upon request):
-Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free options.


TODAY: HEALTHY CHILI

SO, by request again this week, we are making Healthy Chili. And I just so happen to be amazing at making chili so this was a no brainer!!!




Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 15 min

Serves: 4 @ 2 cups/serving

Cost: Under $15 (I forgot my receipt!)


Your shopping list this week includes:

1 yellow or white onion (I still had half from last week's recipe)
Ground turkey
1 can diced tomatoes (any flavor you like. I got Southwestern)
1 can Black Beans
1 can Red Kidney Beans (light or dark)
I can whole kernel Corn (optional)
Cayenne Pepper
Garlic Powder
Ground Cumin
Salt & Pepper to taste
Vegetable or Chicken broth if needed




OR, if you don't feel like measuring out seasonings, I will let you cheat JUST THIS ONCE, and use a pre-made seasoning mix. It is JUST alright though, and even if you use it you may want to add a dash of the aforementioned seasonings to taste. I like mine really smokey, and really spicy! #texasgirl


You will start by cooking the turkey meat until is it cooked all the way through and lightly browned (about 5 min). While this is happening, 


chop HALF of an onion and begin to saute it in a pot on high heat.


Once the onions are almost cooked, and the meat is browned, remove the turkey from the heat, and strain if necessary. I was lucky enough to find 99% fat free turkey meat this week so it didn't need to be strained. There wasn't any grease! :)

The you are going to empty the can of diced tomatoes to the onions, and lower heat to low/med. Once they are mixed well and simmering, add both cans of beans and mix together.



Let the mix heat and start to simmer, and then add meat and seasonings to the mixture. If once the meat is mixed into the chili it looks like it is really dry, add 1 cup of vegetable or chicken broth to the pot and stir well.  Keep on low heat, and cover until heated through. 


The longer you let it simmer, the more time the flavors have to develop. Chili is like soup in that way. But it will taste good after 5 minutes... but if you have longer then leave it longer. Stirring it occasionally. 

When you are ready to eat, scoop it into a bowl and top it as you see fit...
I like my chili with cheese and sour cream. I opted for the much healthier versions of Kraft Fat Free Cheddar Cheese and Plain Greek Yogurt!!



So how could this amazing comfort food that is so dense with amazing-ness be good for you?!?!?
Well, I hate to break it to you, but it is...


Just the Chili:
368 Calories, 2.75g Fat, 45g Carbs, 46.5g Protein

Chili w/ Cheese:
413 Calories, 2.75g Fat, 47g Carbs, 55.5g Protein

Chili w/ Cheese and "Sour Cream":
420.5 Calories, 2.75g Fat, 47.5g Carbs, 57g Protein


Now you are more than welcome to enjoy this with some tortilla chips. We especially like the Tostito's Hint of Lime at my house, but keep in mind that the calories add up quickly so if you do decide to partake in the chip addition, I recommend that you count out the serving that you want BEFORE you sit to eat. THAT WAY you aren't tempted to keep reaching into a bag for more.

Tostito's Hint of Lime: 
serv. size- 1 oz. (6 chips)
150 Calories
7g Fat
18g Carbs
2g Protein

HAPPY EATING!



I am constantly looking for requests on either a previous meal I have cooked or one you would just like me to try. Or I am ALWAYS up for a CHALLENGE. There is no limit... ask away!!



No comments:

Post a Comment